Monday, May 21, 2007

Anyone out there discouraged?

I missed this past 9 mile run with the group (Lakeshore Park) and haven't been able to make it up but I have been on schedule as far a the weekly training. I ran 4 miles today and average about 13 min/mi. I have the usual stuff creeping into my head that tells me, "How can you possibly run 26.2 miles when you are just barely making 9 miles?" Anyway, I know doubt is normal if you are a first time marathon runner but it can make you feel like quitting. No, I'm not going to quit!!! It's great weather for training. Hope everyone else is moving right along with their training. Take care. Bonnie

7 comments:

Donna said...

Hang in there girl! I missed the 9 miles at Fleet Feet the week before and didn't make it up. Needless to say, that put a damper on my weekly training. But, I made it this past Sat. and did just fine. Don't beat yourself up about it. You're doing great!!
Donna

Did I Just Do What I Think I Did? said...

It is totally a mental thing. Running with everyone else on Saturday gets you pumped up. If you miss it, you feel out of sync with the group. Since we are all having to miss at different times we are all going through that let down. Hang in there. There will be plenty of Saturdays ahead and you can do it!!

Jana

Patti said...

trust me, YOU are not getting behind...
and if you just do what Mark says...and don't worry about the make up...you will go many more miles than
you dreamed....just think about the next weekend not the end part....
and it won't be so overwhelming.

Micah said...

It is so easy to get discouraged when RUNNING or even EXCERCISE is in the mix. Stick it out. I miss one of the long runs almost every month and I have not made them all up. If you are able to meet several of us at Lakeshore at 6pm on Thursday come on. We usually do 5 miles and it is better than doing it on your own.

Robin said...

You are doing just fine, Bonnie - don't worry about missing Saturday, just keep up with you daily training this week and you'll do great on Saturday, I promise!

lisathehornplayingturtle said...

Bonnie,
I missed a Saturday run every four weeks, the last two years I done this because of my work weekend at Woman's Hospital. You will do fine. Patti the nurse is a wonderful example of accomplishment. As the heat creeps in so will the doubt. Don't let anyone or anything prevent you from making it to the finish line in Chicago. You will regret it if you quit! The blood, sweat, and tears are all worth it. You can do this. Don't give up. You are a marathoner already!!!!!

lisathehornplayingturtle said...

Oops, I meant to say: I missed a Saturday run every four weeks, the last two years because of my work weekend at Woman's Hospital.